Re: F37 Change: Curl-minimal as default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 2/24/22 16:37, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 8:58 AM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
On Thursday, February 24, 2022 1:35:38 PM CET Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
Did you discuss modularising curl itself upstream?

It was added to their wish list but I do not remember anybody working on it:

     https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/8204844f

That would be a better idea.

Not necessarily.  Each approach has its pros and cons.

I'm intrigued by what you think the cons would be.  AFAICT if curl was
modular in this way already we wouldn't be discussing this proposal at all,
but a different and better one around packaging splits.

It would also avoid the usability nightmare that comes with trying to
trigger switching implementations. This is a very big hammer that
basically tells people that we're crippling curl by default for users
and it has very large network effects across the entire distribution.
It's quite one thing to use curl-minimal for containers where people
expect tools to be broken in the endless pursuit of smaller base
images, but when real people need to use real systems in complex
configurations, having a reduced functionality curl by default is just
going to lead to support nightmares and complaints about random
breakages in applications on Fedora.

+1

Defaulting to a minimal version for the main distro and then arguing whether the loss of functionality is acceptable seems a peculiar and troubling idea.

	- Panu -