Re: F37 Change: Curl-minimal as default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 02:52:02PM +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 10:22:00 AM CET Dmitry Belyavskiy wrote:
> > Dear Kamil,

> > > realized

> > > If this appears to be a real problem, it is easy for us to re-enable IDN
> > > in libcurl-minimal, even in an update of a stable Fedora release.  So I do
> > > not think we need to enable it proactively.
> > >
> > > Being from Russia and having several years of interacting with Universal
> >
> > Acceptance, I'd say IDN is a must nowadays.
>
> To be clear, I am not completely against including IDN in libcurl-minimal.
> On the other hand, we removed IDN from libcurl in ubi9 images in September
> and nobody has complained about it so far:

Is that really a good metric to evaluate against though ? All the
minimal containers have generally thrown out anything related to
i18n/l10n, leaving only support for the most basic C locale, in the
name of saving image size. IOW loss of anything related to helping
non-English/Western users is (unfortunately) accepted collatoral
damage with containers, and IDN was just one cut of many in that
area.

I don't think it follows that it is OK to sacrifice IDN by default
for all Fedora deliverables, because many others do still care
about providing good i18n support to users.

Regards,
Daniel