Re: F37 Change: Curl-minimal as default (System-Wide Change proposal)

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote on Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 10:44:12AM +0100:
> According to ICANN [1], there were 8.3 mln IDN domains worldwide. I admit
> that is more than I expected. According to verisgn [2], out of 364.6 mln total,
> i.e. around 2%.
> Apparently .рф is fairly popular, with 1/5th of .ru registrations [3].

Dmitry mentionned Russia in a sibling mail, Japan also definitley has
quite a few of these as well which I see often enough here, I defintely
wouldn't say IDN domains are rare in such regions...

> But from what I have seen, all those internationalized domains serve
> as a redirect or backup to sites also available as ascii. And for command-line
> tools or scripting, using those ascii versions seems quite likely…

... but I can also agree with this, I haven't seen any ostensibly used
in scripts, although I don't particularly look at Japanese
documentations/examples so I wouldn't say I'm sure about that.

Searching github for "curl https://xn--"; (xn-- is the punycode prefix)
did turn out some results though in issues, e.g. acme.sh:
https://github.com/acmesh-official/acme.sh/issues/3078
which does make sense, cert renewal happens with these domains usually
used in web browsers, so is quite likely to contain such domains if only
for testing purposes.
With that in mind monitoring is also very likely, stuff like nagios
plugins or prometheus web-related probes will definitely want idn
support.

> I certainly wouldn't want to break things for people using non-latin
> scripts. So I'd definitely vote to enable libidn2 in curl-minimal,
> _if_ there are people who'd actually use this for real.

I'd say if desktop environments and things that might deal with such
domains are updated to pull curl-full it'll probably be ok, but at this
point I also think anything non-trivial in an international setup would
want to pull it in so it might as well get included in curl-minimal.

That being said, the point about FTP in another part of the thread is
also probably correct, so curl minimal is starting not to feel that
minimal... I'm not sure forking a third version of the package for
default setup makes sense though.
--
Dominique