Re: Looking for %{forgemeta} GitHub example

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 9:55 PM Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good (simple) example SPEC file that I can
> reference as an example of how to use the forgemeta macro?
>
> I'm trying to build SPEC files for a couple of personal GitHub-hosted
> projects, and I'd like to make them as robust as possible.  Even though
> I have no current plans to try to get the software into Fedora, I've
> always considered the Fedora packaging guidelines to be a solid guide
> for general RPM development.
>
> I've read the "Referencing Source" page[1], but I don't really
> understand what the actual steps are to use the %{forgemeta} macro.
> (I'm not even clear on whether it's available on my system; Fedora
> doesn't seem to include the redhat-rpm-templates package referenced on
> that page.
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/SourceURL/

Hi!

I would recommend that you use the standard source handling as
documented on the SourceURL page.
The forge macros are no longer actively maintained or developed, the
last fix / update they received was almost two years ago.
The original author is no longer contributing to Fedora, and nobody
else seems to understand how the lua scripts behind those macros work.

So, if you plan to package releases / tags from your GitHub project,
just use what's documented here:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/SourceURL/#_git_tags

Fabio