Re: F37 Change: Make pkexec and pkla-compat optional (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, 2022-02-17 at 15:29 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I just tried this, actually, for giggles. Two reasons it's a non-
> > starter: it prompts for the root password, not for my user password (my
> > user is an 'admin' so far as sudo etc. are concerned, but apparently
> > not an 'admin' so far as interactive pkexec is concerned). I do not
> > know the root password, it is intentionally a 24-character random
> > string I would have to look up. And it prompts with one of those
> > goddamn 'secure' GNOME popovers which prevents you accessing your
> > password manager, so every time you hit one, you have to cancel it, go
> > to your password manager, copy the password it wants, then trigger it
> > again.
> >

> I think you misinterpreted the prompt. Assuming your user is in the wheel
> group:
>
>  "Authentication is needed to run '<x>' as the superuser'
>
> Isn't asking for the root password, but rather your password to do
> something as root.

Nope. The name shown was "Administrator" (which means it wants the root
password), and entering my user password does not work. Entering the
root password does.

This may not be the case for everyone, but hey, I just did a quick test
on my desktop, and that's what I found.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA