Re: F37 Change: Make pkexec and pkla-compat optional (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 12:38 PM Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mi, 16.02.22 12:12, Ben Cotton (bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > `pkexec` and `pkla-compat`
> > ([https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/polkit-pkla-compat package]) are
> > legacy tools that are no longer needed on a desktop and increase the
> > attack surface as they are SetUID binaries (`pkexec`) or not
> > maintained anymore (`pkla-compat`).
>
> I find this wording weird... I seriously doubt we should consider
> "pkexec" legacy. It's the much nicer approach to the "sudo" problem,
> as mentioned in earlier discussions...
>
> Splitting it off into a separate package might be OK, but claiming
> that the fact that it is a suid binary makes it "legacy" sounds really
> strange to me, by that means we should also mark "sudo", "su", "ping",
> "mount", "umount", "write", "passwd", … and so on "legacy", but I
> doubt we are at that point, are we?
>
> hence I am not against the feature but please tone down the wording
> regarding pkexec, it's misleading. Say you want to split it out to
> reduce the attack surface, but don't use the word "legacy" in its
> context.
>
> (dropping "pkla-compat" given its unmaintained state is Ok to be
> called "legacy" i guess)

I think I'd go stronger and say I don't really see the value in
splitting out pkexec at all. I'd rather people have a default path to
do safer privilege escalation, and pkexec is way better than
sudo/doas/etc in that regard.