Re: F37 Change: MinGW UCRT target (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 07.02.22 11:07, Sandro Mani wrote:

As noted in the mingw list thread, for me the objective of version parity between native and mingw packages of the current mingw-environment is a big selling point. My real-world experience reflects what others shared in this post, namely that by far most issues which pop up during testing are target independent, i.e. will affect both the native build as the cross-compiled build. It's true that version partiy is not 100% reflected in the current package state, but I still believe the overall state is pretty good, and personally I'd rather look at building cross and native packages from the same spec to reduce the maintenance burden. I know that there was a proposal
in this direction some months ago, I'd like to start moving in this
direction at least with packages where I maintain both the native and the
cross packages.
Yes, I proposed that last year. I was supposed to move it forward by
providing a copr repo illustrating it in real world, but I'm afraid
I got side tracked.

I also wasn't able to participate in the discussion having had too much going on then, but I'd be happy to help (re-)launching the effort.

I'd like to start working on this with some of my packages, I'd handle this similarly to say mpi builds, just manually adding the required steps in %build and %install and adding subpackages as necessary, then retiring the respective mingw repo. Any objections to this?

Sandro