Re: Uninitialized variables and F37

On Thu, Jan 27 2022 at 11:37:29 AM +0100, Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you believe the tools are pretty good for detecting
these issues (and I believe they are, the example given was just
unfortunate because some of the issues weren't actually bad code and
some others were rightfully optimized out, so would never trigger),
then it is a bad compromise.

I don't agree. valgrind could detect disaster 100% of the time on certain malicious input, but that does us no good unless somebody tests that same malicious input before the bad guys do. The certainty of knowing that all stack memory is initialized to 0 when our users run the code is way more valuable than the chance that good guys with fuzzers will find a programming error before the bad guys with fuzzers do.

A couple other considerations:

* The vast majority of uninitialized stack memory bugs are "forgot to initialize to NULL or 0," so the effects of these bugs are obviated, and finding them becomes academic rather than interesting. * If you really want to be able to find these bugs using valgrind, recompiling the software for testing purposes is an option. That's not an option for our users who expect Fedora production builds to be as secure as possible.

Michael