Re: Package notes feature causing build paths to be embedded

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 12:50:33PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 27. 01. 22 v 12:18 Iñaki Ucar napsal(a):

> >>That sounds similar to
> >>"%extension_cflags/%extension_cxxflags/%extension_ldflags" Zbyszek
> >>already mentioned elsewhere. Or I don't get the point.
> >>
> >>Here is concrete proposal for Ruby:
> >>
> >>https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/ruby/pull-request/110
> >There's a *big* difference: switching to %extension_*flags means that
> >many packages have to be modified
>

> But why? In Ruby, it should be enough to change Ruby itself and all
> the other Ruby packages should be fine. Why is it different for
> R/OCAML?

OCaml is a compiled language, not interpreted.  It ships a compiler
which embeds CFLAGS / LDFLAGS (for hardening).  But additionally it
ships many libraries that contain link instructions (so they can link
to C libraries), and those also embed LDFLAGS.

Just about every OCaml package is negatively affected by this change
and they all have to be rebuilt.

Rich.