Re: Revisiting Fedora backgrounds spec

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 09:50:48AM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 10:10:34AM +0100, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 26/01/2022 07:40, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > > One of suggestions is making a package containing a set of 10 Fedora
> > > release wallpaper. The issue will be the increase of file size as the
> > > Design Team chose to keep PNG format instead of JPG for the default
> > > wallpaper.
> >
> > 1. Create a fedora-backgrounds package and upload all backgrounds into it.
> >
> > 2. Create a subpackage for the each Fedora release.
> >
> > 3. The base system will only depend on the corresponding subpackage.
>
> The problem with this is for folks that have the older backgrounds
> installed, every time this package is updated all those people will have
> to uselessly update those older packages. ;(

This makes me wonder if we should (or do?) have a mechanism to remove
a package which is not used.  "used" in the sense of being used by any
account on the system, rather than in the dependency sense.  If we had
that we'd only need to keep the background packages installed that
some user has configured for their desktop.

But wouldn't it be possible to add Version: and Release: tags to each
subpackage so those old version numbers don't change?  (I guess
%{dist} would still be a problem though ...)

Rich.