Re: FC4 kernel performance

I have doubts about such play machines except as a learning tool, but if
you are interested, Russell Coker has a SELinux play machine available
with information at:
http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/play.html
Yeah, I thought about this a lot last night, and realized that even if the SELinux implementation in the kernel was perfect, everything hangs on the userspace implementation. There's a certain emotional reaction that people get from hearing that you can log in as 'root' and it's harmless, but the real threats are attacks on real systems that do real work, not straw men that were set up to be (or not be) knocked down.

   Two more concerns came up for me with SELinux:

(i) scalability on SMP -- I can attest that this is a nice machine:

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v40z/index.jsp

running four single-core processors: this four-socket machine upgrades to an eight-way machine with dual core processors -- this really changes the economics of SMP and is going to push the 'sweet spot' from 2-way towards 4-way and 8-way. System-on-chip is the major path for performance increases in the future, and we might even have 16-way desktop systems in a deade. Linux 2.6 is ready, but is SELinux?

(ii) reliability -- Linux 2.6 is a big advance over Linux 2.4, but we had a crash last night. Unlike our struggles with 2.4, we found that the problem had already been reported and fixed in a recent kernel version. It's hard to fix bugs that aren't easily repeatable, and the longer code paths get, the worse things get.