Re: [Discussion] Future of the CLI APP packaging

Hi,

Jiri Konecny <jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Dne 07. 01. 22 v 21:54 Major Hayden napsal(a):
>> On 1/7/22 14:46, Jiri Konecny wrote:
>>> I would like to do here a bit of brainstorming and ask if there is an
>>> existing solution to this problem. To explain my problem,
>>> recently I found more and more apps likes terminals, prompt and
>>> command line tooling, which are great to use but not
>>> packaged or are outdated in our repositories. The reason for this is
>>> simple. These apps are written in languages like Rust or
>>> Go which works the way that there are plenty of smaller libraries and
>>> these are really a hell to package or maintain in
>>> Fedora. On the other hand it's pretty simple to build it from the
>>> source (most of the time) but hard to split it into packages.
>>
>> Oh gosh, yes, this has been a problem for me for a while. I maintain
>> azure-cli, which has a few subpackages. It depends on about 95 other
>> Azure Python SDK components which depend on various Python libraries.
>> Each of these must be carefully updated when the main azure-cli
>> package is updated. 🥵
>>
>>> I would say, that for GUI apps we already done that. We have Flatpak
>>> which is doing great job to get these apps there
>>> and motivate people to do that because it's then consumable on plenty
>>> of places. However, this is not really usable if you
>>> need app which is core part of the system (like prompt) or emacs/vim
>>> which needs a lot of dependencies from the system
>>> based on user configuration.
>>
>> I do like Flatpaks for GUI applications.
>>
>> For CLIs, I've seen people use container images since it's a single
>> item that is easily updated. However, it's not always easy to
>> determine how a container was built and the home of its sources. 😬
>>
>> The cloud vendors seem to be moving towards bundling everything up
>> into a zip file that you download and run. AWS now has their own
>> crypto/hashing components and bundled Python in a zip. Google has a
>> large zip with plenty of third party vendored content.
> Bundling to ZIP is again the same issue. You have to download it from
> somewhere and from my PoV that is a bigger problem than not being able
> to validate the content.

I am afraid that we will not get around bundling dependencies in the
long haul if we want packaging to still be a doable effort.

There however kind off a middle ground between "package everything" and
"bundle everything", that is currently pursued by the openSUSE project
for node.js: allow the build system to "inject" system packages into a
npm install via a local registry. That would allow packagers to still
bundle most of the non-critical™ packages, while the security relevant
ones could be maintained as rpms and get more attention. Iirc the plan
was to provide this functionality via
https://github.com/openSUSE/npm-localhost-proxy, but I am not sure if
it's already implemented or whether that's the correct project.

Cheers,

Dan