[Discussion] Future of the CLI APP packaging

Hi everyone,

I would like to do here a bit of brainstorming and ask if there is an existing solution to this problem. To explain my problem, recently I found more and more apps likes terminals, prompt and command line tooling, which are great to use but not packaged or are outdated in our repositories. The reason for this is simple. These apps are written in languages like Rust or Go which works the way that there are plenty of smaller libraries and these are really a hell to package or maintain in Fedora. On the other hand it's pretty simple to build it from the source (most of the time) but hard to split it into packages.

Great example of this is Startship command line prompt, we have outdated version but when you look to dependencies[1]
you have to completely understand.

I don't want to start here a discussion if that is insecure or a good idea. That is something which has to be solved by people creating the ecosystem around these languages. What I would like to discuss here is how Fedora could improve
the situation.

I would say, that for GUI apps we already done that. We have Flatpak which is doing great job to get these apps there and motivate people to do that because it's then consumable on plenty of places. However, this is not really usable if you need app which is core part of the system (like prompt) or emacs/vim which needs a lot of dependencies from the system
based on user configuration.

My question is, what we can do to avoid situations as in Windows? I mean that first thing what Win users are doing is to look on internet and start to download random binaries. Do we have something like Flatpaks for core parts of the system now? Is there something we could adopt? Am I completely wrong with my assumptions :D?

Also want to mention that I don't have much experience with this. It's more that I'm worried and maybe this discussion
could lead to something in the future.

Best Regards,
Jirka Konecny