Re: Self Introduction: Malcolm Inglis (mcinglis)

Thanks, Fabio!

I'm sorry I missed the process to cut a ticket in packager-sponsors. I've done that now: https://pagure.io/packager-sponsors/issue/511

That doc page was one of the few I was bouncing around until I opted to email this list. That page linked to the repo's README, which then linked "Procedure for new packagers" to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers , which linked back to the original doc page. That page had a section on "How to find a sponsor", which seemed to imply I'd need to find a sponsor to volunteer *before* moving ahead. Meanwhile, I noticed that several 'Self Introduction' emails on this list had sought and received sponsorship, so I figured this was a way that would work.

It may help if said doc page elaborated the process, perhaps by describing an example request, and if the README on `packager-sponsors` was also elaborated and updated to not link to dead wikis. I can try to send some PRs to help out there.

I understood why `packager` membership is required for various infrastructure access; it makes perfect sense to avoid managing effectively-free-world-writable storage :) I don't believe I raised any contention there. The PR that Maxwell linked seems very appealing, though. It would be great if PRs with new sources from non-packager-members could pass CI without any action from maintainers.

The problem that Maxwell raised about sources updates is not one that I've experienced. I've had a PR with new sources be accepted as-is just fine ( https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-prompt-toolkit/pull-request/1 ). It's just that the CI run was failing (as per state of my other outstanding PRs) until the maintainer stepped in.

Cheers,
Malcolm

P.S. my apologies for letting my corporate mailserver rules mess up the thread subject by adding '[EXTERNAL]'. I'll try to catch that in future.