Re: F36 Change proposal: No ifcfg by default (Self-Contained Change)

On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 20:09 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 01:55:50PM -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thursday, January 6, 2022 1:02:36 PM EST Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > wrote:
> >
> > It is the justification. The audit system has regulatory requirements imposed
> > on it. This is required by common criteria and subsequently depended on for
> > PCI-DSS, CIS, DISA STIG, NIST risk management framework, and many other
> > security or regulatory schemes.

> > I moved it to initscripts-service in rawhide.

> > It would be better if there was a systemctl solution. Any solution I
> > implement will be met with you need to migrate to systemctl. There have been
> > multiple bz opened and closed on this.

> > Exactly. And "who" means login uid, pid, and their security label. You can
> > only get this if the signal is sent from the user's context.
> >
> > > There is no magic functionality in the kernel that specifically records
> > > that something was executed by some specific script.
> >
> > There actually is magic in the kernel that records who sent a signal to the
> > audit daemon and the  necessary atributes. This functionality has been there
> > since at least 2005. It's not new.
>
> Right, so is /usr/bin/stop-audit with the following contents the solution:
> ---------------
> #!/bin/sh
> set -e
> exec kill $(systemctl show -P MainPID auditd)
> ---------------
> ?

I do not believe this is currently usable for audit because the
information on who requested to kill the process is lost this way.

In terms of audit you can audit that user XYZ ran /usr/bin/stop-audit,
however the process that actually then kills the audit daemon will not
have the magic markers in the kernel side and will instead be the
systemd process.

This breaks the audit log chain, as there is no way to audit that
systemd is operating on behalf of that user. The audit trail chain is
broken by the systemcl -> systemd jump.

This is the problem that need to be solved to get rid of audit's use of
shell scripts that directly perform operations wrt the kernel.

I wonder if another option is to have the audit code in the kernel
intercept systemcl messages sent to systemd and interpret the commands
and log what they are asking ...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce