Re: F36 Change proposal: No ifcfg by default (Self-Contained Change)

On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 01:17:01PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 18:02 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> > > As I understand the bug, it's not a question of whether the thing can
> > > be done, but whether it can be known *who did it*.
> >
> > There is no magic functionality in the kernel that specifically records that
> > something was executed by some specific script. If that scripts sends a signal
> > somewhere, you can send the same signal with the same sender info and the same privileges
> > using bash/python/C/Rust or even assembly. So the "who did it" information
> > can be provided in a different way without pulling in the initscripts stack,
> > or it is bogus, or maybe even both.
>
> In this case the "who" is the user, not the script.

Yes, obviously the user is outside of the machine and "user" always
means some program running under the UID assigned to the user.
All I'm trying to say is that if you can make one implementation of this
program (e.g. a set of bash scripts) send some bit of information, you can
make another implementation send the same signal.

> The problem of going through systemctl is that the "who" is lost
> because all the audit system can see is that systemd started the
> action. Basically the communication between systemctl and systemd masks
> the identity of the user that initiated the action.

Yes, systemctl doesn't save this information. So audit uses some
alternative command to send this information somewhere. This
alternative command should just send this bit of information where appropriate
and then call systemctl. More-or-less as things are now, but without
the initscripts baggage.

> I believe a solution needs to be found between systemd and the audit
> subsystem in general so that we remove this whole class of issues
> altogether.

If there's a need to add something to systemctl or systemd, we can do
it. But it's never been clearly articulated afaik.

Zbyszek