Re: File collision advice

On 05. 01. 22 17:38, Jerry James wrote:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 11:59 PM Elliott Sales de Andrade
<quantum.analyst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think these packages are wrong upstream. The `sphinxcontrib`
directory is provided by python3-sphinx, and it specifically doesn't
have `__init__.py` there. Those extensions should not be adding one,
so as to keep the implicit namespace package nature of that directory:
https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/guides/packaging-namespace-packages/#native-namespace-packages

By the contents of the files, it appears they are trying to force it
to be a pkg_resources-style namespace package:
https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/guides/packaging-namespace-packages/#pkg-resources-style-namespace-packages

But since Sphinx didn't do that in the first place, there's no
guarantee that other packages will contain `__init__.py` (and indeed
most do not).

Thank you, Elliott.  That's good information.  I will talk to the
respective upstreams about this.

For more context about Python namesapace packages, I recommend this thread (particularly Toshio's reply):

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/packaging@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/ZCNEOK2M67HMHM73CRSB3A4FDFLIS6I2/

As for the `sphinxcontrib` directory provided by python3-sphinx - note that this is done downstream.

--
Miro Hrončok