Re: F36 Change proposal: No ifcfg by default (Self-Contained Change)

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM Jonathan Lebon <jlebon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That is not Ignition configuring the network, that is *you* knowing
> > what an NM file looks like and dropping it in. With cloud-init, it
> > knows how to access cloud provider data sources to get configuration
> > information and translate it into machine network configuration
> > automatically.
>
> For cloud-specific network configuration, we've been steering towards
> nm-cloud-setup. We do ship it in FCOS, but it's currently disabled by
> default pending more CI coverage and investigation:
>
> https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/320#issuecomment-791492732
>
> So in theory, we could drop support for ifcfg as this Change is
> proposing and add nm-cloud-setup. (And that'd take us closer to being
> able to move from cloud-init to Ignition, which would have lots of
> benefits too.)

What benefits? From a usability, workflow, and configuration
perspective, Ignition is a *huge* downgrade from cloud-init for most
Fedora Cloud users. From my own experience with Fedora CoreOS in
OpenStack and AWS, Ignition configuration is clunky and awkward
compared to the nicely integrated support for cloud-init.