Re: F36 Change proposal: No ifcfg by default (Self-Contained Change)

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 9:42 AM Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022, at 9:22 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> >
> > There are none. Ignition deliberately cannot configure the network,
>
> This is not true.  https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-coreos/sysconfig-network-configuration/#_via_ignition

That is not Ignition configuring the network, that is *you* knowing
what an NM file looks like and dropping it in. With cloud-init, it
knows how to access cloud provider data sources to get configuration
information and translate it into machine network configuration
automatically.

> > and as a CoreOS tool, it is incapable of configuring the system to the
> > same level cloud-init can anyway.
>
> Er, what?  Please see the whole above doc.  A big part of the idea of CoreOS is that our tooling is symmetric across bare metal and cloud - and in the bare metal world, *lots* of nontrivial networking problems come up.  It's hard to understate the amount of time we've spent on this.
> IMO we have a quite cool model now - our live ISO *is* CoreOS too, but doesn't require networking by default to fetch Ignition.  You can inject an Ignition config into the ISO, and then e.g. boot that ISO in systems like vSphere or attach via IPMI virtual media etc.  That Ignition config can then contain an Ignition config for the *real* system with static IP address, etc.

Your model only works as long as *you* do the configuration. You solve
*nothing* for networking as you defer to the user to provide the raw
configuration. Your symmetry was done by eliminating the ability for
Ignition to handle cloud system stuff to process and configure
directly.