Re: Mock v2.16 release, mock-core-configs v36.4

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 18. 12. 21 v 22:09 Nico Kadel-Garcia napsal(a):
> > Discarding RHEL 7 and CentOS 7  for
> > EPEL, and by implication Amazon Linux 2,  will discourage people
> > further from using RHEL based releases at all, I'd not consider it an
> > encouragement to switch to RHEL 8. Commercial users are avoiding
> > CentOS 8.  Discarding EPEL 7 is salting the earth for existing users
> > of RHEL 7 and CentOS 7.
>
> ????
>
> No one is discarding RHEL/CentOS.  Mock will stay there. No one is going to delete it.

I'm afraid that "no one" is perhaps overstated. Various companies are
discarding CentOS since the CentOS 8 Stream fiasco, and questioning
their use of RHEL or CentOS at all. I've had several interviews lately
included evaluating the company use of RHEL/CentOS after their seeing
various issues with CentOS 8, more properly described in the CentOS
mailing lists. I'm a big uer of mock for multi-platform compilation,
I'd like to be able to use whichever build host in whatever standard
build server I get to work with.

For mock v3, that's not how I read your quote:

> Mock v3 will be available for EPEL 8+ and Fedora. We are deliberately
> removing RHEL 7 host support from Mock in Mock v3, so it won't be
> available in EPEL 7. Mock v2 will remain in EPEL 7.

EPEL typically deletes old versions of software when new releases are
published though perhaps not if the new version is simply never
backported to the old OS, I'd expect an unsupported mock v2 to go the
way o the dodo when v3 is released, even if it is only released for
RHEL 8 compatible EPEL and for Fedora.

The statement sounds at first glance like even building for CentOS 7
and RHEL 7 is being discarded from mock v3. If you're saying it will
support building for RHEL 7, mock v3 simply won't run on RHEL 7, OK,
that seems far more sensible. I'm sorry I misread that..

> So what is the problem?
>
> Miroslav

Various companies I've worked with seek to standardize on base
platforms. So do I personally, for my mock build environments. There
is a great deal to dislike about RHEL 8 and CentOS 8 for that base
platform for doing mock builds. If there is no technological reason,
I'd prefer to have any advances in mock, such as any features of v3
available on my CentOS 7 basic build servers. I'd consider using my
Fedora testing server as a build server, but I update that every 6
months, and hesitate to use Fedora itself as my build server.