Re: F36 Change: Make Rescue Mode Work With Locked Root (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 05:01:50PM -0500, przemek klosowski via devel wrote:

> >>Is this being worked on? Do you have any references?
> >Latest systemd versions have been getting some support for the low-level
> >parts, i.e. the low-level encrypted-secret storage. But we're missing the
> >upper parts, i.e. how to actually use and update the passwords. I didn't
> >even mention this, because we don't have a comprehensive story yet.
>
> A scenario that wasn't mentioned here yet is using a disk from a failed
> system: either moving it to another system, or even simply accessing the
> data. If the credentials (including the LUKS encryption key/password) are
> protected by TPM2, it may effectively prevent any further access. It would
> be useful if any such new scheme avoided that.

The recovery password is necessary for encrypted data. For a user account,
it could be useful, but is less necessary, because generally you're expected
to simply reset the password if lost.

Generally the idea is that you have a nice reasonable-to-type password that
is protected by the TPM, and in addition a second recovery key that
can be used in case the TPM croaks or the disk is moved.

systemd-cryptenroll and homectl support generation of such recovery keys [3,4].
In comparison to a password it is longer and generated from entropy instead
of entered by the user, so brute-force attacks are not a concern. It is
supposed to be written down or saved somewhere when initially creating
the encrypted storage.

> In enterprise system, there usually is a backup decryption key, accessible
> to the enterprise admins. I am not sure what would be appropriate for
> single-user systems: some sort of install-time rescue passphrase [1]
> perhaps, that the user would write down and safely store [2]?
>
> [1] https://xkcd.com/936/
>
> [2] conveniently stored next to the rubber hose so that the attackers could
> forgo its use and type the rescue passphrase themselves.
> https://xkcd.com/538/
That's a classic ;)

[3] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-cryptenroll.html
[4] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/homectl.html