Re: F36 Change: Make Rescue Mode Work With Locked Root (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 12:03:04PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > The second case is when the admin has actually
> > locked down the kernel command line and relies on the normal
> > authentication mechanisms to protect the system. In both cases your
> > proposal creates an additional method of attack that activates at a
> > later point where the system is already running and the integrity of
> > the system must be maintained to protect unencrypted data. With the
> > proposal, any mechanism which leads to the system entering emergency
> > mode results in a compromise.
>
> If the admin has done one thing to lock down the system, then they can
> do another (removing the sulogin --force addition).  Right now, Fedora
> is shipping an inconsistent (and frustrating) state: one part is locked
> down, but another is not (so the first can be bypassed, in an annoying
> way).  Prompting for a root password at rescue/emergency mode is not
> security in the default config and so should not be done (at least when
> no such password is set, as some of the default Fedora configs have).

I agree that prompting for an unset root password is annoying: we
should just say upfront that the login is not possible that way. But I
don't agree that we should punch an new hole just because a different
one exists. The existing shortcomings are well known, and can be worked
around, and are not relevant in all circumstances. The new mechanism
opens the system from a different side. I also don't think we should
assume that the admin will do a series of "hardening steps". This is what
we had in the 90's: you'd install a stock distro and then go over a checklist
of basic steps to make things secure. Let's not go back to that.

Zbyszek