Re: F36 Change: Make Rescue Mode Work With Locked Root (System-Wide Change proposal)

Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> The second case is when the admin has actually
> locked down the kernel command line and relies on the normal
> authentication mechanisms to protect the system. In both cases your
> proposal creates an additional method of attack that activates at a
> later point where the system is already running and the integrity of
> the system must be maintained to protect unencrypted data. With the
> proposal, any mechanism which leads to the system entering emergency
> mode results in a compromise.

If the admin has done one thing to lock down the system, then they can
do another (removing the sulogin --force addition).  Right now, Fedora
is shipping an inconsistent (and frustrating) state: one part is locked
down, but another is not (so the first can be bypassed, in an annoying
way).  Prompting for a root password at rescue/emergency mode is not
security in the default config and so should not be done (at least when
no such password is set, as some of the default Fedora configs have).

Fedora should ship in a consistent state, and this is the most
straight-forward way of getting there.  Locking down a system beyond the
default requires changing a bunch of things, so I do not see adding this
to that list to be a problem.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>