Re: rust: Request for packaging rust-html-escape and rust-smallbitvec

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 9:07 PM Aleksei Bavshin
<alebastr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip)

> `smallbitvec` deps are only needed for benchmark, so the test suite is
> actually passing without these. Should be safe to drop with metadata patch.
>
> rust-tiny_http 0.8.2 also has a benchmark-only dependency `fdlimit`
> which we can drop.
>
> The situation with tree-sitter-cli testsuite is complicated: it requires
> a few other github repos with a grammar definitions and who knows what
> else. I haven't succeeded in running it so far, so we can keep it turned
> off. And that would make `rust-spin` update unnecessary.
>
> The draft packages are available from
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/alebastr/rust-tree-sitter-cli/;
> seems working with available grammar files (with exception of
> `build-wasm` and `playground` subcommands which require emscripten).

You're right, benchmark-only dev-dependencies can be safely dropped,
because we don't build or run benchmarks during Fedora builds.
That makes some problems easier.

Disabling the test suite in tree-sitter-cli is fine.
If published crates don't contain the files needed to run the tests,
we don't run the tests.

The only real "problem" I see is that none of the tree-sitter crates
contain LICENSE files.
So by publishing them to crates.io as they do, they don't comply with
their own license terms. :)

In such cases, it's a good idea to remind the upstream project to read
the terms of the license they choose, and that they actually need to
include the license text with redistributed sources ...

Fabio