Re: F36 Change: ostree native containers / CoreOS layering (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021, at 12:32 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:

> Also, how does this intersect with Fedora IoT and their desire to move
> to Imagebuilder?

I'd love for one of the team members there to comment on this.  From the
FCOS side I can say there's interest in aligning CoreOS and Image Builder
where possible, but it's not going to happen overnight.   There's a fractal
world of complexity there that could be its own whole thread.

I think as a short version though, all this functionality will land in
(rpm-)ostree and be accessible to Image Builder should they choose to
use it.

Both Image Builder today and coreos-assembler are focused on building
what we'd after this change think of a *base image* (both container image and
disk images).

This notion of a container style derived image is more of a new thing.

And from the CoreOS side I think I'd say it is not a goal to expose
coreos-assembler to users as part of this.  This proposal currently
calls for supporting users to create their own derived images using
any *container* build system they want.  (Which, since I'm being
realistic, Dockerfile is sadly the lowest common denominator here)

That said, creating derived container images this way also is
going to motivate making it easy to create disk images (e.g. ISO, qcow2, AMI)
that take ostree-container images as input as a user-facing productized
thing.   It seems to me that Image Builder is a natural place
for that to happen.

I hope we can mostly avoid this need apart from special cases.
For many users for example, managing (building, paying for, versioniong,
garbage collecting) their own AMIs in EC2 isn't desirable.  Instead
being able to just build, version and test their own FCOS-derived
container images is much easier (and portable across clouds).

> Overall this looks exciting to me and I love the idea that I can write
> an Dockerfile (or new thing) file to declare my layering and have it
> all built (or rebuilt) via existing container tooling.

Thanks!