Re: Question for election candidates: do you support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on a proprietary software git forge?

On 01. 12. 21 13:03, Hunor Csomortáni wrote:
Packit developer and Source-git SIG member here, joining two days late
to this thread.

One important thing to call out: the source-git workflow is not
officially adopted by the Fedora Community. All the work that is
ongoing in this space is experimentation and custom tooling developed
to support select packages. Yes, we (the Packit team) have a goal to
propose to the Community to adopt the workflow as an alternative way
of doing packaging work and allow source-git repositories to be hosted
within Fedora realms, but that proposal has not been written yet.

To have a better, less fragmented developer experience, lower
maintenance and administration costs, and to ensure Community control
over them, I think it would make sense to host official source-git
repositories next to dist-git repos, in a sibling namespace, and be
served by the same Git-forge. But this becomes important if and when
the workflow becomes official. Before that, as Zbyszek wrote,
experimentation could happen anywhere. The discussion on the
source-git SIG issue was just about that: where should experimental
source-git repositories be hosted.

As someone working on source-git, I would like to see the Fedora
Community to have a clear decision about which Git-forge to use for
canonical sources and to support in the long run. Currently I’m seeing
mixed signals, and this makes longer term planning somewhat more
difficult. Source-git requirements might be considered in making such
a decision, but I don't see them as the main driving force.

As a FESCo election candidate, I stand by this reply. Thank you, Hunor.

I would normally not just post "+1" answers to the mailing list, but since the original question targeted election candidates, here is mine.

--
Miro Hrončok