Re: Question for election candidates: do you support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on a proprietary software git forge?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 16:26, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > Could we set up open-source Gitlab and run that? Well, history has
> shown that the answer is "probably not, actually".
>
> I don't believe it. If GNOME and KDE and freedesktop.org and Debian and
> Purism can all do it, I'm pretty sure Fedora can too. GNOME has two
> sysadmins handling all of GNOME infrastructure, one of whom is
> part-time, but GNOME GitLab never seems to lag too far behind upstream.

The main problems with trying to get a test Gitlab working in the past
was usually dealing with the copious amounts of shared disk space and
systems needed to run the all the items listed in the
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/reference_architectures/5k_users.html
diagram (we tend to fall at this level though certain times a year
would be at 20k). Because of how the Fedora buildsystem works, all of
this needs to be located in our main datacentre or you rapidly find
koji/mbs/bodhi/pdc/etc/etc breaking somewhere.

The second issue has been the general rule that Fedora systems run by
infrastructure use Fedora Linux or RHEL. Packaging up all the ruby
gems and various services needed is a large task and usually falls on
someone like Neal Gompa to try a stab at it.

The third issue is round-tuits. There are a lot of things we need to
get round to it, if there is ever time. Every release, some new plate
(or plates) gets added to the Fedora Infrastructure spinning contest.
Yes Fedora has 3 full-time sysadmins and several volunteers but it has
generally a backlog of things, broken existing things, and limited
timelines (want to put in new infrastructure? you can do it in 2-3
week stretches every 4 months. Miss those and you have to wait until
the next window.. try to do it outside those little windows and watch
100+ developers complain to upper management that their package broke
for some reason. Then spend time in meetings explaining that X group
needed Y and sorry it broke Z.) Things have improved on this front in
the last 2 years but it is still problematic.

Getting past the first one is finding the appropriate infrastructure
and building it out with all the other parts of a build system which
would tie to it. The second one needs either running a different OS or
people doing a lot of packaging work on top of their existing
packages. The third one requires volunteer time or having different
objectives decided on.

Getting an open source gitlab is not impossible. It just takes a lot
of free time, systems and work done somewhere to make it happen.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard