Re: Question for election candidates: do you support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on a proprietary software git forge?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 03:25:29PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> src-git is exclusively used for downstream Fedora packaging, so I
> don't expect upstreams to be interested at all, unless upstream
> developers are also the Fedora packagers, right? I'm also assuming

So, we do have a lot of software where the upstream developers _are_ also
Fedora packagers. So that's an easy first case.

> that direct commits to dist-git will be blocked if src-git is
> enabled -- because otherwise how would we keep them in sync and
> avoid breaking src-git? -- and the only way to commit to dist-git
> would be via src-git. Is that right too?

Nope! The Packit Service bot works just like a human packager and syncs
back changes other packagers have made.

> > Could we set up open-source Gitlab and run that? Well, history has
> shown that the answer is "probably not, actually".
> I don't believe it. If GNOME and KDE and freedesktop.org and Debian
> and Purism can all do it, I'm pretty sure Fedora can too. GNOME has
> two sysadmins handling all of GNOME infrastructure, one of whom is
> part-time, but GNOME GitLab never seems to lag too far behind
> upstream.

Okay, so: consider this an open invitation for anyone to prove me wrong,
here. (I'm serious.)

> I'll avoid responding to the big list of other cool stuff we could
> be doing, since it's hard to argue that cool stuff is cool. ;)

:)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>