Re: Question for election candidates: do you support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on a proprietary software git forge?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 03:53:54PM -0500, David Cantrell wrote:
> coordinate their work.  Even if you spend your time working solely
> upstream, src-git still ultimately goes through dist-git via PackIt as
> would existing package maintenance.  dist-git therefore is the
> authoritative source of what is in Fedora.

This is probably going to get lost in what might become a mega-thread, but
I'll try to stick this in here while I still can. :)

This actually reminds me that it might be worth pointing out a distinction.
That is: src.fedoraproject.org is not dist-git. It's a Pagure front-end over
dist-git. And it is Pagure and the associated UI bits that are worrying me
the most.

In a theoretical situation where we would move src.fedoraproject.org to
gitlab.com — or where we move _everything_ to source git — we could _still_
have an completely open source, in house, in our datacenter `dist-git`. Just
without a complex web front-end.

I don't know if that at that level matters to anyone for whom this is so
deeply fundamental. And I'm not going to split hairs or claim that this is
what Fedora Council meant all along or anything tricky like that. Just
that... if ownership of this underlying fundamental truth is the thing that
is _really_ essential here, we _can_ have that and also eat our cake.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>