Re: RFC: Reduce number of packages that are built for i686

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:07 PM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 18:58, Peter Robinson wrote:
> [...]
> > What else is there that people care about in Fedora that's only i686?
>
> There are some old proprietary games with i686-only binaries. I'll check
> which packages are required by the ones I have.

I think the easy answer here is, indeed, "games". And for some Fedora
users, that might not be an important use case.
But given the increased interest in "Gaming on Linux" (even though
some tech YouTubers still consider Fedora a hat meme distro), I think
this is something Fedora as an increasingly popular "mainstream" linux
distribution should definitely continue to support.

However, wine, as packaged for Fedora - I assume to support running
both 32-bit and 64-bit windows applications - requires both x86_64 and
i686 libraries on x86_64:
$ sudo dnf repoquery --requires wine --resolve --recursive | grep i686 | wc -l
255

So, wine needs i686 multilib packages on x86_64 even if you don't want
to use it to run games, but just for running *any* Windows
application.

Additionally, the steam RPM (as provided by the opt-in third-party
repository that comes installed by default with Fedora Workstation) is
a i686-only package (sad face), and hence also pulls in i686
libraries:
$ sudo dnf repoquery --requires steam --resolve --recursive | grep i686 | wc -l
221

And any "older" games you want to play from Steam (or GOG, or
wherever) will also require i686 libraries, as they're probably 32-bit
only applications (if they're even linux native binaries, otherwise
they'll require wine, which *also* pulls in i686 libraries).

Considering there's a big overlap between those two package sets
(steam + wine dependencies) and that some of those i686-arch packages
are actually subpackages of the same source package, the number of
i686 packages we need to support for the two only important use cases
of i686 multilib should be around 200, plus their build-only
dependencies.

Two Hundred (or even make it 300) packages - that's around 1% of the
whole corpus of Fedora packages (with almost 23000 source packages in
rawhide).
Which I think confirms my suspicion that just building *everything*
for i686 is 99% wasteful ...
(Yes, yes, I know that some of those 23000 packages are noarch, like
python or perl stuff ... don't go fetching your torches and pitchforks
just yet.)

Fabio