Re: Fedora 35 - gedit

On Tue, 2021-11-09 at 18:59 +0100, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I didn't install any update, apparently the update is already included with
> the release version of Fedora 35, because it won't install from the command
> line and the versions from the build match the versions from the release.
> This is a fresh installation of Fedora 35 Workstation, done the day before
> yesterday.
>
> So, with the updates INCLUDED instead of installed, the mouse pointer and
> the cursor (still) act strange when running gedit. When I try to move the
> mouse into position and click to move the cursor into position, for example
> to cut and past text, both OFTEN (say 50% of these attempts) end up on a
> completely different line number, sometimes even selecting some text in the
> process.
>
> The updates as provided by the build and as included in the release version
> of Fedora 35, do therefore not function as intended.
>
> Precise sequence of steps:
> 1) turn on computer
> 2) open text files from file manager
> 3) start editing
>
> Nothing more, nothing less, nothing out of the ordinary either. The problem
> had never reveiled itself on another one of my computers, which is still
> running Fedora 32 Workstation. It's definitely new, impossible to overlook,
> and impossible to ignore when your used to working with gedit as your
> default editor as I am.

Thanks. So:

1. That update was not included in the release. The update was created
on 2021-11-04, which is *after* the release happened (on 2021-11-02),
let alone when the release was signed off (2021-10-28) or actually
built (I think that was 2021-10-25). The release has gnome-shell-41.0-
4.fc35 and mutter-41.0-4.fc35 . You can see this for yourself at
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/35/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/g/
and
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/35/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/m/
. This is just a note, as long as you have the updated versions and
have rebooted since installing them, it doesn't really matter where you
got them.

2. The problem you are having is not the problem the update was
intended to fix. I know this because I was the person who noticed the
problem and backported the fix. That problem did not occur simply by
opening a file and editing it, it always involved switching focus
between the text editor and other windows. There are more details on
the bug the update actually fixes at
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/4647 . The update
definitely did fix that problem, because I had it before and I don't
have it now.

3. The problem you're hitting now is not likely a general one, or else
a lot more people would likely be complaining about it, given how
"impossible to overlook" (your words) it is. It's not happening to me,
for instance. gedit behaves just fine for me. Unless anyone else can
reproduce it by just running gedit, we still need to figure out what
exactly in your configuration is triggering the problem. Maybe you
could record a video of it? That might show something that helps.

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA