Re: deltarpm usefulness?

On 11/9/21 7:46 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>>> I think it's because you only see deltas from N to N+1 now and before
>>> you saw deltas from N to N+X before. So, I think if we made it somehow
>>> create older deltas, you would again see better savings. The issue
>>> doesn't just cause there to be fewer deltas, but it also causes those
>>> few be be against very recent changes, so less effective.
>>
>> Would it make sense (and possible to implement fairly easily) to
>> generate deltas weekly instead of daily? That may already be a good
>> start; as I’d imagine bandwidth constrained users would generally try
>> to update on a weekly or monthly basis.
>
> Not easily for 2 reasons:
>
> 1. deltas are package to package and many packages rev 4-6 times a
> week (I am looking at you, kernel). So a once a week delta update
> would have to make deltas against each of those packages for both
> people who are resource constrained and those who are not.
> 2. Each 'compose' of Fedora is like a manufacturing line where if you
> turn off some part, the rest after that point break because something
> they expect is not there. If we turn off deltas altogether, we can
> clean up various bits that were expected afterwards but someone would
> need to do that work while doing all the usual work.
>
> So you would need to set up a seperate compose pipeline which would do
> this once a week and put those in a tree which is distinct from the
> regular daily Fedora. That requires doubling the number of servers and
> increasing disk space. Both of which are limited resources on the part
> of Fedora Infrastructure.

Would it be possible to just stop making deltarpms entirely and disable
them outright?  It appears that this would save a significant amount of
resources on the Fedora side, and they increase the attack surface of
all Fedora users who do not disable them.

Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)