Re: Package FFMPEG with royalty free codes (AV1, THEORA, VPX, OGG, OPUS, SPEEX, ...) for Fedora

Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> And does Chromium fully work with HTML5 video if you do that? In
> particular, does it correctly report the list of supported codecs to the
> website? Last I checked, Chromium hardcoded the list of supported codecs
> at compile time (and there were actually only 2 hardcoded lists in the
> source code, one of which was selected at compile time depending on
> whether the "proprietary_codecs" flag was set at compile time or not; no
> attempt whatsoever was made to query ffmpeg for what codecs it actually
> supports, neither at compile time nor at runtime), so the only way to
> replace the list was to replace the entire Chromium (which is what
> qt5-qtwebengine-freeworld does for qt5-qtwebengine: it replaces the entire
> QtWebEngine shared libraries including the entire bundled Chromium).

PS: And, also last I checked, even MP3 (whose patents expired a few years
ago) was still considered a "proprietary codec" by Chromium. (The Fedora
Chromium package, but not the qt5-qtwebengine one, has a patch to enable MP3
support, but I think it does not actually touch the supported codec list, it
only enables the codec in the bundled ffmpeg. And to do so, it also requires
several files related, according to their names, to other patent-encumbered
codecs such as AAC, files that I was not comfortable with shipping in qt5-
qtwebengine when I last looked into the issue, which was before I handed
over qt5-qtwebengine maintenance to Rex Dieter.)

        Kevin Kofler