Re: Package FFMPEG with royalty free codes (AV1, THEORA, VPX, OGG, OPUS, SPEEX, ...) for Fedora

Andreas Schneider wrote:
> there are several packages in the distribution which require FFMPEG
> (libavformat, libavcodec, etc.), one of them being chromium. The package
> could be created in a way that you can easily replace it with a version
> from rpmfusion to get to the full encoder/decoder set including H264 etc.

And does Chromium fully work with HTML5 video if you do that? In particular,
does it correctly report the list of supported codecs to the website? Last I
checked, Chromium hardcoded the list of supported codecs at compile time
(and there were actually only 2 hardcoded lists in the source code, one of
which was selected at compile time depending on whether the
"proprietary_codecs" flag was set at compile time or not; no attempt
whatsoever was made to query ffmpeg for what codecs it actually supports,
neither at compile time nor at runtime), so the only way to replace the list
was to replace the entire Chromium (which is what qt5-qtwebengine-freeworld
does for qt5-qtwebengine: it replaces the entire QtWebEngine shared
libraries including the entire bundled Chromium).

        Kevin Kofler