Re: Possibly off topic: Slack will discontinue packaging for Fedora

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 13:25, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/4/21 17:23, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > I don't know if that's of interest to Fedora, as an organization, but
> > on the off-chance that it is: Is anyone in a position to ask someone
> > at Slack about that decision?  And whether there's anything that
> > Fedora can do to make publishing that package more feasible?
>

> To put a finer point on this: I'm not asking how I can run Slack, or how
> other people run or use Slack.  Those are questions I would ask on the
> user list.
>
> What I'm asking is whether Fedora, as an organization, is interested in
> working with prominent vendors to determine whether there are barriers
> to publishing software for Fedora, or whether they perceive insufficient
> value in doing so.  And, beyond those questions, is there anything we
> can do as an organization to help change that situation?

I believe those need to be tied into a couple of other questions
1. How does any organization work with these various prominent vendors?
2. What are the interests of said vendors and what are they focusing
on for customer growth?

Once those questions have been answered, then we can ask
3. Why did these prominent vendors decide to focus on OS A and B
versus A and B and C and ...
4. What barriers are there for making it work for OS C/D/E/F

Slack is now owned by Salesforce which will have specific monetary
goals for what they want the sub company to focus on. In the past
there was a large focus on getting everyone possible to use the
product and there is now going to be more focus on paying customers.
If we want a port focused for our OS, there need to be significant
paying customers who are using Fedora.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in