Re: Possibly off topic: Slack will discontinue packaging for Fedora

On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 10:24:22AM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> What I'm asking is whether Fedora, as an organization, is interested
> in working with prominent vendors to determine whether there are
> barriers to publishing software for Fedora, or whether they perceive
> insufficient value in doing so.  And, beyond those questions, is
> there anything we can do as an organization to help change that
> situation?

I've got thoughts! :)

1. I think we have some historical wariness of this, because a while ago, we
put in a big effort around this and it failed. See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ISV_Special_Interest_Group, which currently
says "This page was last edited on 12 June 2010, at 22:15." (It won't in a
second, as I'm adding the {{old}} macro right now...). Former FPL Greg DeKoenigsberg
has some thoughts on why this failed, written about two years after that.
https://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/why-the-fedora-isv-sig-never-caught-fire/

2. Market share is hard and vendors have to make hard choices with their
limited resources. We're growing, but Ubuntu is still the dominent desktop
Linux flavor. The best thing to convince vendors is customers — paying
customers — demanding it. So, if you're using Slack in a professional
context, and can help make your voice known, that does a lot more than me
reaching out to them. (Which, by the way, I did.)

3. Probably Council Discussion
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/c/project/council-discuss/60 is a
better venue than devel-list for non-development Fedora Project
organizational-goal topics. I mean, not that this is bad, just that's
_definitely_ good.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>