Re: Fedora 35 security update of curl blocked for a month

On Wed, 2021-11-03 at 08:54 +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 6:32:34 PM CET Adam Williamson wrote:
> > 4. The email notifications should be customizable via
> > https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications/ , I believe. I do agree
> > it would be good if we could tweak some defaults in the notification
> > code to not notify you when you do things to your own stuff, as you
> > likely don't need a notification in that case. But I never get around
> > to doing this for my own account, let alone sending a patch to make it
> > better for everyone...
>
> To be clear, the problem is not that I get notifications for my own actions.
> I prefer to get such notifications on services like Github or Bugzilla, so
> that the full story is recorded in my mailbox.
>
> The actual problem was that I received the same e-mail 49 times

This is because, although you clicked the button once, it submitted 49
separate waivers. That's arguably more Bodhi's fault than the
notification system's; it should maybe be smart enough to assume you
only want to waive *failed* tests, not waive every single test that was
run on the update.

>  and that its
> subject nor the body contained any information besides the (currently valid)
> URL to some JSON data.

I don't recall exactly how this part works, but it's *probably* because
this is broken:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/fedmsg_meta_fedora_infrastructure/blob/develop/fedmsg_meta_fedora_infrastructure/waiverdb.py#L33-L36

note it tries to use the key 'result_id' from the message, but current
waiverdb.waiver.new messages do not seem to include that field. This is
also why, when you look up waiverdb messages on datagrepper:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/datagrepper/raw?category=waiverdb&delta=172800

they don't have a little summary after 'JSON' like messages whose
metadata processor works do (that summary is this same 'subtitle' thing
from the metadata processor). I would guess that the notification
system wants to use that subtitle either as the mail subject or in the
body or both, but because it's broken, it falls back on just "fedmsg
notification".

I'll send a patch to fix that. Of course, what we're *really* behind on
here is getting datagrepper and FMN rewritten to use fedora-messaging
and message schemas[0] instead of fedmsg and the fedmsg_meta stuff...

[0] https://fedora-messaging.readthedocs.io/en/latest/messages.html#schema
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA