Re: F36 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

> On Fr, 29.10.21 13:57, David Cantrell (dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Has there been any consideration for potential security risks with
>> regards to the data in this string?  Of concern to me are encoding
>> formats, size limits or reporting, and structure formats.  The
>> proposal notes JSON, which has been involved in security related
>> problems in the past.
>
> One of the reasons we are sticking to JSON here is so that we can use
> battle-tested parsers we already use for other stuff. you want a
> parser that is already used, verified, tested elsewhere, and JSON
> makes that easy. A homegrown parser of an entirely new special purpose
> format is a lot more problematic security-wise.

Does there need to be any parsing at all?  WireGuard avoids the problem
by only using fixed-size fields, so one only needs to check that the
field is of the correct length.  Qubes OS uses the same solution in
at least its GUI protocol.

Sincerely,

Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)