Re: F36 Change: OpenLDAP 2.5 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 06:27:54PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > Users will be able to use the newer version (2.5) of OpenLDAP, and
> > building packages with openldap-2.4 won't be available, as it won't be
> > present on the specific fedora version. This can affect 3rd partly
> > packages, which are not part of Fedora.
> >
> > To remediate the impact of the change the post-installation script
> > will be run with the package installation. And in case the
> > openldap-servers package is installed on the system, `dnf` will halt
> > the upgrade and notify the user with a message describing what and why
> > happened, and what steps to take to mitigate the issue.
[...]
> This is not allowed in Fedora. We cannot have DNF failing via
> scriptlet *at all*. The result of that is a completely broken
> transaction and an unrecoverable system, depending on the scenario.
> Please figure out a way to make upgrades work non-interactively with
> OpenLDAP Server or do something to prevent the server service from
> starting until migration tasks have been complete or something else
> altogether.

I'm not quite understanding the problem to be solved. What exactly are the
3rd-party packages referenced here? Non-RPM packages built against it which
might break?

It sounds like the goal is to make upgrades _not actually possible_ if
'openldap-servers <= 2.4.59' is installed. Or is the script planned to do
something more than that?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>