Re: F36 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Do, 28.10.21 01:48, Fedora Development ML (devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> That said, you are probably right that this change proposal is not the worst
> source of bloat we have ever encountered. There has been much worse. (Just
> in terms of bloat added to each ELF binary by Fedora-specific settings, I
> think both MiniDebugInfo and Annobin really ought to be dropped.
> MiniDebugInfo is no useful replacement for full debuginfo and only wastes
> space. Annobin has no benefit for the end user at all and should be only
> enabled in private QA rebuilds.) But the benefit of this change proposal is
> also very small. And I disagree with the concept that "we have done worse"
> is a valid argument for doing something bad.

I understand you are not working with backtraces/coredumps every
day. But as someone who's at the upstream receiving end of bug reports
of one major project I can tell you that MiniDebugInfo is literally
the best thing since sliced bread: in systemd upstream the bug reports
we get from Fedora are *ridiculously* more useful than bug reports
from any other distro, since the default way how things are reported
already carry backtraces that are quite useful. It's a complete mess
with other distros, since we have to ask people to come back with
proper backtraces with debuginfo installed, and only a subset of
people is willing to bother with that. Bug reports from ArchLinux,
Debian, Gentoo and so on are total crap by default compared to
Fedora. So if you are going to dump shit on MiniDebugInfo like you are
doing then what I hear is that you just have no clue with working and
maintaining software upstream.

And the package JSON ELF note stuff we are talking about here will
improve things further for us because we then can sanely filter out
stuff that is already fixed and irrelevant: people are really bad at
providing us with the necessary info manually with matching things up
properly, and get it wrong *all* *the* *time*, and that problem goes
away entirely then.

So, for one minute, try to see things from the perspective of people
who actually have to work with the backtraces and coredumps that are
generated on Fedora systems. Just because Mr. Kevin Kofler himself
doesn't deal with coredumps/backtraces that's not a reason to make
life harder for those people who do.

(And I understand that mrqonki or what's it called is your holy grail
of crash reporting, but I find it entirely uninteresting since it's in
no way set up for doing system-level backtraces, run during early boot
or anything like that. It might be OK for app crash dumps if it
actually works, but we are not just building apps here, we are first
and foremost *OS* builders, and something that can't handle system
level stuff properl is just not relevant then. — That said, running
back trace processors in-process or even just with user creds like
mrqonki is doing it apparently is a really bad idea anyway: if an app
has crashed, its memory is fucked then you don't want to run code
inside it and you want to process its coredump tightly sandboxed with
the least privs possible — something systemd-coredump does btw)

Software maintainability *matters*. And yes, a few 100K on a distro
install are a very cheap price to pay for this.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin