Re: F36 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2021-10-25 at 15:09 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
>
> I like this idea. It will be really useful when multiple distros adopt
> it.
>

> It isn't immediately clear to me which of the key's will be included.
> The format describes 6 standard ones: type, os, osVersion, name,
> version, osCpe and debugInfoUrl. But the example given later only shows
> type, name, version and osCpe.
>
> To me the debugInfoUrl is the most interesting because combined with
> the already existing build-id note it allows automagic fetching of the
> debuginfo and sources (and the debuginfod server could tell you the
> type, name and version of the archive, so in theory you don't have to
> include those fields, but they might still be useful if you cannot
> access the debuginfod url).

The general spec doesn't make any field mandatory intentionally, as different consumers/producers might have different needs. One of the advantages of using JSON as a format is that it's self-describing, so you don't need to.

I guess from a distro-specific implementation point of view you'd want at least:

- type
- name
- version
- architecture

As that allows you to pint-point with reasonable accuracy I think? Throw in the OS name (ID or CPE from os-release) to ensure there are no possible ambiguities. debuginfo server sounds also something that would be useful for a generic-purpose distro like Fedora or Debian, absolutely.

> One ELF technicality I don't see described is the alignment and padding
> of the ELF NOTE. Normally on GNU systems ELF NOTEs are aligned on 4
> bytes (for both 32/64 bit ELF files). But the recent .note.gnu.property
> NOTEs are aligned on 4 bytes for 32bit systems, but 8 bytes on 64bit
> systems (this is causing some interesting issues trying to combine
> those NOTEs...). What alignment/padding will this new ELF note have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

4 bytes alignment is shown in the examples: https://systemd.io/COREDUMP_PACKAGE_METADATA/

But yes, it should be specified I think, I'll add an explicit mention of it. It should also be read-only, otherwise there are problems consuming it.