Re: F35 Potential Bugs - Where/What to file against

On Sat, 2021-10-16 at 15:40 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Try pressing ctrl-alt-f8 to switch to a text console. If the text
> login
> appears, then the issue was most likely in the graphics stack. If
> still
> blank, try pressing ctrl-alt-del. On a text console this should
> result
> in a reboot. If it reboots, you should be able to see logs with
> 'journalctl -b-1'. If it doesn't respond to ctrl-alt-del, then it's a
> kernel driver issue. Further debugging is possible, but let's check
> the
> easy things first.

Yeah, I tried ctrl-alt-{f2, f1} but nothing like f8 so will try that
next time. I did manually tell the system to suspend twice and then
closed the lid and it successfully resumed when I opened the lid the
next time. However I'll see if f8 or rebooting works.

> >   #2 - In F34 Gnome control center -> battery I could choose the
> > laptops power profile (performance, balanced, powersave). This
> > seems to
> > be gone.
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Power_Profiles_Daemon
> > seems like its supposed to be supplying this, but systemd says the
> > service is masked. Looks like it is masked by TLP. TLP has the
> > benefit
> > of being able to configure that setting between when on AC and when
> > on
> > BAT which is nice but I'm wondering is it a bug that I can no
> > longer
> > change that setting in gnome control panel? Is this expected
> > behaviour?
>
> One of the reasons to introduce power-profiles-daemon was the dbus
> API
> that gnome knows how to use. TLP and others do not provide the same
> API. power-profiles-daemon.service conflicts with tlp.service,
> probably
> because they'd both try to set the same settings. So if you want
> p-p-d.service, then make sure it is enabled and disable tlp.service.

Right, that's kinda what I'm wondering though. I may have originally
installed tlp but don't recall. To be clearer about what I'm asking
about is, if p-p-d is the new default (and using this laptop with F34
had the options in control center). Why is p-p-d masked? Should it be?
how come the power options were available in gnome-control-center in
F34 when presumably both services existed there as well? Basically, it
was there in F34 and now its gone, but I'm told p-p-d is default in F35
so why did the option disappear and is it a bug?

--
Nathanael