Re: F37 Change: Ansible 5 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 07:44:12PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 7:29 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 4:32 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Ansible5
> > >
> > > == Summary ==
> > >
> > > The ansible project has re-organized how they release and distribute
> > > ansible. This change moves Fedora to be in sync with those changes and
> > > retires the old 'ansible classic/2.9.x' package in favor of a
> > > 'ansible' package that pulls in ansible-core (the engine) and includes
> > > all the collections in upstream ansible releases.
> >
> > I wrote to the various upstream bugtrackers about this already. The
> > re-org upstream is confusing and unwelcome, and creates a stack of
> > problems.

Yeah, it's been confusing to people for sure, but it does also help out
a lot with other problems. :(

> > I would publish ansible-core as just that, with a "Provides: ansible
> > %{version{-%{release}" and even "Obsoletes: ansible >= %{version}".

That would radically diverge from upstream and cause _more_ confusion.

It's unfortunate that the 'ansible' name meaning has changed, but
ignoring it or overriding the upstream name isn't going to help matters.

> > The new pypi.org tarball published as "ansible" isn't. It's a tarball
> > of components from the Ansible galaxy collection, and it is
> > unnecessary for the basic ansible-core operation, which are much
> > bulkier than the previous "ansible" and contains approximately 145
> > distinct software licenses. That.... is a sign of a packaging problem
> > that I've discussed on the pypi.org issues pages, at
>
> I realize I was unclear. The new "ansible" tarball from pypi.org has
> 145 distinct software licenses, and many distinct galaxy collection
> published ansible modules. The new "ansible-core" tarball is much
> smaller, even smaller than the old "ansible" package due to some bulky
> modules being transferred to the galaxy collection.

Right.

> Splitting off the variety of add-on modules makes sense. Replacing the
> core package with the add-on modules and moving aside the core seems
> exactly backwards.

Well, I think the thought was that people would find ansible-core too
bare bones after having used ansible-2.9/classic with all it's included
modules.

If you don't want the collections, just install ansible-core.

kevin