Re: OCaml packages failing in ELN

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 03:53:09PM -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> The ELN package builds for the recent OCaml 4.13 update have mostly
> been failing, over and over.  I finally took a look at some today;
> they're going to keep failing until a human intervenes.  Rebuilding
> against Rawhide packages was supposed to fix this issue, but it
> doesn't fix the problem we're having this time: package builds that
> succeeded when they should have failed.

I'm not sure I follow exactly what the problem is.

> The problem is that some packages low in the OCaml dependency tree
> were built successfully, but against packages that hadn't been rebuilt
> yet.  The builds succeeded, so now those builds are sitting in the ELN
> repository, preventing the corresponding Rawhide builds from being
> used, but they have unresolvable dependencies.

So say there's this (real) dependency chain:

ocaml -> ocaml-labltk -> ocaml-findlib -> ocaml-dune

We set off building (eg) ocaml-findlib.ELN before ocaml-labtk.ELN.
However it's being built against the Rawhide version of ocaml-labtk,
so it should both build and the dependencies of it should be OK.

Unless of course we're hitting the unstable ocamlx(Dynlink) problem
again?

> If building the packages in the same order they were built for Rawhide
> is infeasible, then we need a backtracking algorithm that detects
> build failures due to uninstallable packages and rebuilds those.
> Right now, at the very least, ocaml-dune needs such a rebuild.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v