Re: Self Introduction: Maxwell G (@gotmax23)

Maxwell G via devel kirjoitti 12.10.2021 klo 6.44:
Hi everyone,

I am Maxwell G or @gotmax23 on FAS and Github. I am relatively new to
Linux but after trying different distros, I settled on Fedora. I don't
have a lot of time between school and having chronic pain, but I'd like
to give back and contribute as much as I can.

Welcome to the Fedora Project, Maxwell! I hope you will enjoy your time here.

I created a package for yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl with extra fixes
and features, and submitted a [review request][1] on Bugzilla. I still
need a sponsor and someone to review my submission.

Thank you for the contribution.

In cases like this, it is worth considering if the fork can be complete replacement for youtube-dl. If yt-dlp does everything youtube-dl does, just better, it could be a good idea to just replace the original with the improved version.

Naturally, such replacement needs to be discussed with the current maintainers of the youtube-dl package first. So perhaps you want to tag the youtube-dl maintainers with a 'needinfo' in your review request and ask for their view on this?

As I said, I have [contributed][2] to a couple Fedora packages on
src.fedoraproject.org prior to submitting this application; I have some
feedback on improving the contribution process for those who aren't
part of the packager group. When I have a chance to type it up, where
should I send it?

[3]:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Joining_the_Package_Maintainers/#one_off_contributions

Contribution of this kind if very much appreciated. The first steps of a new packager are currently quite rough, any ideas on how to make them easier are very welcome.

In case you did not find it already, the source repository for the Package Maintainer Docs is this:

https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs

You can file an issue or a pull request there. If the matter needs to be discussed first, the right place is here on the devel mailing list.

Otto