Re: jaxb* packages retired on f35+ (despite still being used)

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to draw attention to the fact that the jaxb stack (Jakarta XML
> Binding for Java) was recently retired for rawhide and F35 (only hours
> before the final freeze went into effect). It looks like edewata did
> not do a comprehensive check whether those packages are still depended
> on by anything other than his own packages, though.
>
> Since there's not been a successful rawhide compose since the packages
> were retired, they now show up in the "orphaned packages" report,
> where their dependency trees are listed thusly:
>
> - Too many dependencies for jaxb, not all listed here
> - Too many dependencies for jaxb-dtd-parser, not all listed here
> - Too many dependencies for jaxb-fi, not all listed here
> - Too many dependencies for jaxb-istack-commons, not all listed here
> - Too many dependencies for jaxb-stax-ex, not all listed here
> - Too many dependencies for xmlstreambuffer, not all listed here
>
> They are all part of the dependency tree of antlr4, which is why there
> are so many dependent packages the report can't even list them all
> (I've CC'd jjames, antlr4's maintainer).
>
> I'm not sure if the packages could be dropped from the antlr4
> dependency tree, but them getting removed so late before the F35 final
> freeze introduced all kinds of problems (including FTBFS and FTI
> issues), which now can't be fixed without going through the Freeze
> Exception process, at a time when we're all busy doing other things.
> :(

It looks like antlr4 doesn't depend on jaxb directly, but only
indirectly via jakarta-json.  Let me see if that dependency can be
removed.  Still, it would have been nice to have a heads up about jaxb
disappearing, and doing so right before final freeze is a really
terrible idea, as you note.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/