Re: F36 Change: Enable exclude_from_weak_autodetect by default in LIBDNF (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 16. 09. 21 23:26, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:24 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16. 09. 21 22:03, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 4:02 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16. 09. 21 21:43, Fabio Valentini wrote:
For exmple, if I remember correctly, mozilla-openh264 / gstreamer
support for it are installed as weak dependencies with post-GA package
updates.

Why exactly is this a problem?

Because it will not happen anymore. We need a new way to trigger its
installation post-install.

Oh. We don't have them installed on the media, but we want them to be pulled in
on upgrades? Is there some legal requirement that forbids us to have them
installed by default directly?

Yes. The patent license for H.264 (AVC) for use with OpenH264 is only
conveyed when distributed by Cisco, which we do through the RPM
repository hosted by them.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

We could include a meta-package in the default installation, which Recommends the Cisco package on GA but is switched to Requires in a 0-day update.

--
Miro Hrončok