Re: FF builds

On Thu, 9 Sept 2021 at 13:01, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 12:55 PM Demi Marie Obenour
> <demiobenour@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Also, could the Fedora project itself perform at least
> > basic QA for critical security patches?
> >

> Who do you think is the "Fedora Project"? It's us in the community!
>
> > > Two days for builds is not great, but it's not the end of the world.
> > > Would it be nice if we had more powerful builders? Sure. But it still
> > > would take a minimum of 2 days for something to go out since it needs
> > > to get pushed, pass tests, and get karma to autopush to stable
> > > releases.
> >
> > Can the Firefox build be distributed among multiple machines?
> >

> We'd need icecream[1] support enabled in Koji. I am not even sure Mock
> (the build engine) supports icecream right now.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/icecc/icecream

It would require more than that. It would require having our
networking and build systems able to talk to other systems when they
are building. For security reasons we turn off networking inside the
mock so that we don't get packages pulling in crap during the build. A
distributed build by definition is pulling in 'crap' from other
systems so you have to not just have networking turned on, you have to
have tools to make sure the 'crap' is really the stuff you wanted.

I don't see that happening anytime soon. The issue with builds being
stuck is a problem but it needs a systematic fix across the board
versus just for 'Firefox'.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in