Re: FF builds

On 9/9/21 12:45 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 12:42 PM Demi Marie Obenour
> <demiobenour@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/8/21 10:49 PM, Bojan Smojver via devel wrote:
>>> Just being devil's advocate for a second here...
>>>
>>> Two days to build FF in koji? Has it gotten that big or are the builds that slow?
>>>
>>> <duck/> :-)
>>
>> This is also a security problem: consider a 0day exploit found in the wild.
>>
>> Should the FF builds be given more resources?  Does Mozilla provide a signed
>> Flatpak that could be used instead?
>>

> Security is not worth anything if the application doesn't work. We
> don't ship updates immediately to users after they're built *no matter
> what*. They go through the update manager (Bodhi) to get validated for
> release.

There are users (such as myself) who have the equivalent of

$ sudo dnf -y --best --refresh --enablerepo=updates-testing --security -- upgrade
$ sudo dnf -y --best -- upgrade

in their update scripts.  Also, could the Fedora project itself perform at least
basic QA for critical security patches?

> Two days for builds is not great, but it's not the end of the world.
> Would it be nice if we had more powerful builders? Sure. But it still
> would take a minimum of 2 days for something to go out since it needs
> to get pushed, pass tests, and get karma to autopush to stable
> releases.

Can the Firefox build be distributed among multiple machines?

Sincerely,

Demi Marie Obenour
she/her/hers