Re: f35-backgrounds ready for review

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 7:14 PM Luya Tshimbalanga <luya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2021-08-27 5:41 a.m., Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Yeah, that's why I was thinking of arbitrarily grouping them into sets
> > of 10
> > releases. That keeps it from becoming *infinitely huge* over time.
>
> Say fedora-backgrounds is an umbrella package containing a set of
> fxx-backgrounds as subpackages. The idea is good but the challenge is
> the implementation. Is there an example of a spec file with such concept
> so we start from that pointÉ

I'm really not sure if this "one package to rule them all" approach is
a good idea. It sounds like a package maintainer's nightmare, and
based on the last few release cycles, I'd rather have fewer surprises
lurking in the fNN-backgrounds package, not more. Taking last
release's backgrounds package as a template for the next one sounds
much simpler to me, and would also not result in an explosion of the
size of the sources that need to be handled and uploaded to /
downloaded from the lookaside cache at each package update.

I assume neither packagers doing local builds, nor koji doing builds
would be happy doing hundreds of MB of downloads from the lookaside
cache (all wallpapers from all Fedora releases, after all!) when
changing only a simple thing for one release, instead of downloading
only the wallpapers for the release in question.

Fabio